These gluten free sugar cookies are so good no one will even know they’re any different. I’ve got a way to make them dairy free too.
I’m not sure if I’ve ever told you this before….
My kids don’t even know that I don’t eat gluten or dairy.
Like, they have no clue.
They think the only thing I can’t eat is crab cakes because one time at the beach they noticed I wasn’t eating one. When they asked why I froze and said I was allergic.
They tell everyone about the damn crab cakes.
They have no clue that I don’t eat half the food in our house.
Cause, yes, it’s about being able to have a dang cookie if you want to…
But it’s also about those sweet little moments with the people you love, eating cookies and sipping cocoa and feeling the love.
That’s what this time is really all about.
And I believe with all my heart that no one should ever have to sacrifice that.
Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup butter or palm shortening
- 1 tbsp milk, plant milk or water
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups gluten-free flour with xanthan gum (like Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 baking flour)
- For the icing:
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 5 tbsp milk, plant milk, or water
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- Water by the tbsp
- With a mixer cream sugar and butter/shortening together. Add milk/water, salt, vanilla and egg and mix. With mixer running slowly add flour a little bit at a time. When dough is formed transfer to parchment or wax paper and mold into a large ball. Press down with hands to flatten a bit. Wrap the paper around the dough and chill in fridge 30 minutes to an hour. Can expedite in freezer.
- When ready to bake, roll out dough and use cutter or form into cookies.
- Bake at 350 12-15 minutes.
- For the icing:
- Whisk sugar, milk and vanilla together. Add water as needed by the tbsp to reach desired consistency.
Enjoy every moment! xx
P.S. Want more GF & DF Holiday recipes? Grab the expanded edition of my holiday recipe book here.
P.P.S. Planning to go GF and/or DF for 2023? Join us for the 5-Day RESET. It’ll have you eating GF/DF without even realizing it. We start Jan 16! Sign up before the end of the year (Dec 31) and save $50. Click here to learn more and join!