We eat a lot of tacos around here, especially these beef tacos. Right now I’m averaging most days where two meals a day are a taco, in some form or fashion. Some healthier than others, yes. Regardless, most days I’m drawn toward all things roll-able.
When I asked you in this survey last week what you wanted more of, you answered with a resounding “Here for the recipes!” … which is what I hoped you’d say.
There’s no shortage of health advice out there these days. What we need more is the HOW and seeing other people do it so we know we can do it too.
That’s always been my goal here.
I try to make healthy not feel so… so, meh.
I want to show how “healthy” can (and should) be do-able, and real and simple and beautiful and delicious. Because when you focus on these things rather than what’s “healthy” or not, “healthy” just sorta happens, effortlessly.
Today I’m sharing the one real-simple-beautiful-delicious recipe that lately I find myself making every single week, usually on a Tuesday… beef tacos.
If you know my turkey taco recipe, it may sound a little familiar. This beef taco recipe came out of not having the spices the turkey recipe called for, which BTW are totally optional.
There have been many a night I forgot the spice and it didn’t even matter. It’s still delicious.
That’s why I say spice is usually extra and not required. Especially when you’re cooking with good, quality ingredients. And for the record, you want quality spices too (more on that below).
Speaking of good, quality ingredients, that’s another reason I prefer these beef tacos over turkey.
Turkey vs. Beef
I’ll tell you, I used to think turkey was the healthier choice between the two.
Growing up I was the queen of the turkey sandwich. I’m basically made out of them I ate so many.
It sounds healthier, right? Especially than say… a cheeseburger…
Well, what if I told you we’ve had this backwards?
I could write a whole separate post about this… and you know what, that’s what I’m gonna do cause there’s a lot to get into.
So let’s put a pin in that for now… more next week.
Until then, picture me here cheers-ing you with a taco.
I hope you enjoy these…
Beef Tacos + Cilantro Cauliflower Rice
- 1 lb ground grass-fed beef or bison/buffalo
- 1 tbsp chili powder*
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- tomato, diced
- avocado, diced
- romaine (or tortillas)
- salsa* (optional)
- For the cauliflower rice:
- 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil (or olive or avocado)
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets and riced (can either put in food processor or coarsely grate)
- 1-2 cups cilantro, chopped
- sea salt
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add beef. Break up the ground meat in the pan, add chili powder and onions and stir, breaking up meat more. Keep stirring frequently, every couple minutes until cooked through.
- While meat cooks, wash and separate romaine leaves. Chop tomatoes, avocado and cilantro. Serve taco meat in romaine leaf (or tortilla) topped with tomato, avocado, cilantro.
- To prepare the rice: Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add oil. Add riced cauliflower and sauté until starting to brown. Stir in cilantro. Season with sea salt to taste.
Shop the Recipe
*When shopping for spices always check the label. You want to see only spices that you know and recognize and could buy one-off (ie. paprika, oregano, etc.). If it says something vague like “spices” that can be code for MSG or filler. A lot of spices add cheap fillers too that’s why when you can it’s best to go for organic and invest in high quality. You’ll taste it in your food and get more health benefits (spices have amazing health-promoting properties), too. Brands I like are Frontier Co-op and Simply Organic.
P.S. Want more super simple recipes like this one? Get my FREE 3-Day Meal Plan here.
Note: Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links through which I have the opportunity to receive a small commission of sales. All commissions are used to help fund this blog. Thank you for your support!